(Image credit: RawPixel)
Asking for what you want: a script for requesting support from your boss.
This is a great format I picked up from Villa Consulting- the amazing women who are running the female executive business retreat on September 8-12th in Heber Valley. While this is specifically for requesting that your company pay for this inspiring coaching event, this can be used as a good starter to present your request for anything that helps build your career. Logically, the most important thing is to show how this is a value for your business: how does this retreat improve your performance, how does it help you bring more to your position and your company’s bottom line?
(Image credit: Startup Stock Photos)
Ask yourself these questions…
…write out your responses so you’re confident that you can express them clearly.
- What you want
- Why it is valuable (to the company/boss/team)
- How it could happen
(Image credit: Terimakasih0)
Example conversation with your manager:
What you want
I’ve learned about an executive retreat in September where I would be able to get 3 full days of intensive coaching and skill-building, and I’d like to attend. (Add details later)
Why it is valuable
You and I have been talking about my development path in this company, and I believe this would be a great way for me to get a jump start. I know supporting and promoting women has become a strategic priority for the company, and I am confident the experience would help prepare me for my next critical role, as well as equip me to influence and mentor other women to meet the company’s goals.
How it could happen
I understand there may be some funds set aside for talent development in each team, and I’d like to ask you to sponsor my attendance. The cost for the 3 days/4 nights is all-inclusive, and it’s a fraction of the cost of an individual coaching package. I would be willing to come back and do a training session for our team, and I think this would be a cost-effective way for us to leverage those funds. I need to sign up within the next week to secure a reservation. Would you like to look over the materials?
Here are some short one-sentence examples:
- Chocolate Villa can help me identify my authentic leadership style and discover opportunities to achieve my potential.
- I would like to connect to a broader community of women and develop efficient communication and interpersonal skills to improve my career development.
- I have been looking into coaching and development and found this program that provides that and much more for a fraction of the cost.
- Chocolate Villa will provide me with a framework to coach myself, coach others, and effectively influence my team so I can do more within the organization.
- Chocolate Villa helps executive women explore and break down the barriers that may be holding them back from moving up in the organization.
- I am ready to take the next step in my career and Chocolate Villa is a unique, intensive program that can help me with a roadmap to get there.
Once you have your manager’s support, register for the retreat here. Don’t forget, there’s only 10 spaces open at the retreat as I write this, so please hurry! I’m looking forward to learning with you.